Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Waiting

I waited
Waited until the seconds became minutes
Minutes became hours
Hours became days

I waited
Waited until the days became weeks
Weeks became months
Months became years

I waited
Waited until my hair grew passed my shoulders
Until it turned from brown to gray
and watched it fall like a light rain

I waited
Waited until my hunger turned to pain
and that pain turned to anguish
Until the food became a memory

I waited
Waited as my body became emaciated
brown skin clinging to white bone
veins protruding

I waited
Waited until the youthful beat of my heart
slowed to the pace of a snail in a race
until the blood in my veins thickened

I waited
Waited until my throat dried
and became a desert from which my songs
would no longer sing

I waited
Waited to hear your voice again
Waited for those loving words
To make love of my soul again

No comments:

Post a Comment