Saturday, August 1, 2009

Letter to an Absentee Father #29

Letter to an Absentee Father

It seems of late you have
a certain interest in me.
Passing messages to me
through various extended family.
I find it interesting that 30 years
down the road we barely know
each other and yet you speak
of me as if we've always been
close.

I'm not avoiding you nor am I
actively seeking you out,
since I have a father,
who's name is Mami. I recall
with clarity the husband you
used to be and the father you
pretended to be all those years ago.

So ask yourself really, what could we
possibly have in common that would
make a reunion imminent? I've grown,
developed and flourished in your absence
and frankly think I'm the better for it. So
thank you for your inquiry, but our time
has run its course. So I ask of you
sincerely to accept this as reality.

Yours very truly...

No comments:

Post a Comment