Thursday, October 1, 2009

Nuyorican Tales

Kan kan kan kan-kan…
My heart beats to the rhythm of the clave
Caribbean sun-kissed skin
Mi piel… café con leche
Evidence of a tainted ancestry
Coffee bean colored…
These are the eyes of my mother

Raised by the Bronx

Musing on medleys of salsa
Pouring Celia, Hector, Frankie &Ruben
From apartment windows
Inspiring spontaneous song and dance
From locals watching games of domino
On city sidewalks

Childhood memories of the syrupy sweet

Tamarindo piraguags and
Playing in pompas to cool down
On heat drenched summer city days
We eagerly anticipated the
Puerto Rican Day Parade
With our banderas held high
We shouted WEEEEPPPPPAAAAA

Que Viva Puerto Rico

Isla Del Encanto
Amor de mi alma
Never questioning whether our pride
Was innate or instilled
We were raised to love all of who were are
Mamí didn’t tolerate ignorance

Our bodies fed on strict diets of

pernil, arroz con gandules y yuca
Barrio frituras – alcapurias y bacalitos
Jugo de Guayaba in Goya cans
Christmas meant pastels y arroz con dulce
An extra present for leaving grass under your bed
Para los Reyes Magos

Annual pilgrimages to Borinquen

Island of my mother’s birth
Island of my soul’s content
A moment to become one with
Con nuestras raices cultural

Schoolgirl choruses of

Alegre vengo de la motaña
De mi cabaña que alegre esta
Y a mis amigos les traigo flores
De las mejores de mi rosal
We sang bright eyed and hopeful

Looking forward time spent

With Mamî Panchita, Tios
Titis y mis primo hermanos
I miss my grandmother’s eyes
Knowing Papito Kique from
Old tales y Mama Chonga a testament
To an ancestry rooted in slavery

A return to New York City

Nueva York where school buildings
Are named after Julia de Burgos,
Tito Puente y Felisa Rincón de Gautier
And we hang images of Don Pedro
Albizu Campos in our homes

We were fluent in Spanglish
Raised on a mixed bag of
Grease, Gone With the Wind and Marry Poppins
El Chavo del Ocho and watched Iris Chac
ón
shake her cadera on television

Este orgullo born in me

Rooted in my mother's journey
Grounded in a New York's cement
Spiritually bound to my ancestors
Divine inspiration, I pen my history

This is my story

A tales of two cultures
Two countries, two languages
One idenity, one Nuyorican
One me

1 comment:

  1. Ya era tiempo...we needed you to make a blog in the worst way....Felicidades and know that if you need anything in the "Blogabarrio" that your hermano has your back...

    George Torres
    The Urban Jibaro

    ReplyDelete